Website Singer Instruments
Are you a Senior Mechanical Engineer with an interest in Robotics? Join our agile Research and Development team. We’re looking for an experienced hand or subject matter expert to join our in-house hardware team who are responsible for the design, prototyping, iteration, and test of Singer’s future product portfolio.
Singer Instruments is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer with an interest in Robotics to join our agile Research and Development team. We’re looking for an experienced hand or subject matter expert to join our in-house hardware team who are responsible for the design, prototyping, iteration and test of Singer’s future product portfolio. The role will see you lead early engineering and design elements setting and holding the more junior team members to account. You’ll be joining at the beginning of an exciting new programme of product development where customer value comes first and foremost, Agile PM style. That means you’ll be testing prototypes with scientists, getting fast feedback and iterating quickly. We don’t expect you to know everything and we fully believe in the Research bit of R&D!! We have in-house scientists who can help with the jargon so don’t let that put you off.
This is a varied, hands-on, project-based engineering role, taking robotics automation from customer-derived concept to market. You’ll have the ability to help mold the team’s processes, disseminate hard-earned good practices, lead lightly defined projects and work in collaboration with the software engineers and in-house Ph.D. science team.
Projects include robotics, automation, motion control, interface design with prototypes created in-house on our 3D printers, CNC machines, and laser cutters. There will be travel involved to collaboration partners around the UK and possibly abroad.
- 6+ years commercial experience as a Mechanical Engineer
- A minimum 2:1 degree in Mechanical Design or similar mechanical engineering discipline
- Ninja level experience with Solidworks or similar CAD software
- Experience in new product development with a hands on mentality
- Excellent RCA and problem-solving skills with the ability to coach others
- Advanced hand skills with the ability to assemble complex never before created products
- Advanced Experience with statistical reliability testing of components
- Highly developed engineering maths and first principles thinking skills
- Strong people, project management and report writing skills
- Good understanding of design for manufacture and production methodologies
- Strong interest in technology, innovation and robotics
- Strong problem-solving skills and willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willing to undertake training to advance skill set
ADDITIONAL BONUS REQUIREMENTS
- Robotics or mechatronics background or experience
- Manufacturing knowledge – CNC [Lathe, Mills, 5-Axis], Laser Cutting, 3D Printing
- Embedded programming / Firmware writing
- Engineering software understanding Octave/Matlab
- Good understanding of electronics and understanding of PCB’s
- Experience with fast-cycle product development feedback loops
- High level of understanding of ergonomics and product usability
- Experience in working in an Agile project management environment
- Experience using Google and Atlassian productivity suites is an advantage
- A passion for disruptive technologies
A minimum 2:1 degree in Mechanical Design or similar mechanical engineering discipline required.
Singer Instruments, headquartered in Somerset on the edge of Exmoor, develop laboratory automation to accelerate research for scientists who want to make the world a better place. The company supports a global customer base, across a spectrum of interests such as healthcare, antibiotics, biofuels, renewable fabrics, and plant-based alternatives to meat. As an employee-owned company, Singer puts its people first. Singer Instruments are very proud to have won the Somerset Business Awards Employer of the Year; By supporting our teams and investing in our people, we get the best results for our customers. Staff are highly motivated by their global scientific impact and a shared value for company culture. Table football in the staff room, boules in the Japanese garden, and table tennis and barbecues on the deck form part of our working ethos. The atmosphere is relaxed, attitudes are positive, and nobody wears a suit. Work in a rapidly growing business should be fun, so Singer take any opportunity possible to celebrate success. Did somebody say BBQ?!
£30,000 – £40,000
Pension contributions, Healthcare scheme, Bonus scheme
- 30 days holiday including Bank Holidays
- Holiday bonus on length of service
EQUITY OPTION ELIGIBILITY
Somerset (great for surfing/hiking/kayaking etc.)