What we offer you
- A salary range of £46k – £52k
- Annual pay rise in line with inflation
- Pension scheme
- Increasing EMI company share options with tax efficient dividend payments
- 21 days holiday (increasing with long service), plus Bank Holidays
- A culture where work/life balance gets more than lip-service
- Colleagues and managers who support you to be the best you can be
- Company-sponsored lunches, away days and celebrations
- Quarterly reviews and structured CPD
- CPD budget to help you grow as a person and progress within the company
- Adventure budget for an experience of your choosing
- Option to work remotely up to 3-4 days a week
- Optional private medical health care through Bupa
- Budget to purchase a fitness tracker of your choice
- Cycle to work scheme
- Funds to purchase optical wear and medical vaccinations
A bit about us
We’ve spent the last 6 years building a team by the sea in Bournemouth, and we’re looking to welcome more teammates into the fold. We make technology that helps people get to work, school, the shops or socialise.
Passengers are at the heart of our products, and we endeavour to make the right decisions on behalf of the millions of people that use our products every day to get them where they need to be.
We work in partnership with our customers and that both enables and drives us to deliver clever solutions to the everyday problems we all encounter. Accountability is important to us but more than that, we’re motivated to learn and excel in everything we do.
We operate with empathy and understand that different people need different things to thrive. By working together we can build a better world and that starts from within, with respect, understanding and a lot of laughing.
If you too are a champion of sustainable transport and this sounds like the kind of place you belong, get in touch.
A bit about the role
Reporting to the Head of Product, you’ll lead the Cities value stream to build innovative and market-leading solutions maximising the value and use of mobility data and network information throughout the platform.
We empower our product teams to solve hard problems – customer problems and business problems – in ways that our customers love, yet work well for our business. We staff our product team with the skills necessary to come up with effective solutions that are valuable (our customers choose to buy or use), viable (the solution works within the many constraints of the business), usable (the user can figure out how to use) and feasible (our engineers have the skills and technology to implement at reasonable cost). The Product Manager (Cities) is accountable for ensuring the solution is both valuable and viable.
The key responsibilities are:
- Building and delivering the Cities product roadmap and long term outcomes.
- Leading feature development within the Cities value stream to meet the business’ strategic goals.
- Ensuring stakeholders are engaged in product development.
- Ensuring what gets built is both viable and valuable.
Day-to-day you’ll be:
- Managing the process of product development from inception through delivery, to product marketing and success review, covering:
- Scoping and refinement
- Stakeholder requirements capture
- Experience and interface design
- Data capture and analytical analysis
- Customer feedback
- App store ratings and reviews
- Training materials and process for Customer Service
- Product update and go-to-market communications with Marketing
- Researching the market, users and buyers to create and refine outcomes aligned to the overall Product strategy.
- Championing the product’s value internally in the business, bringing clarity and simplicity to complex problems and topics.
- The go-to person for Cities product capabilities within the business.
- Liaising with Sales to direct sales collateral and explore product fit in new markets and for new customers.
- Monitoring competitor activity and external risks to the product.
A bit about you
We recognise that the right person for this role may not have previous experience in all the areas that they become responsible for, so if you have any combination of these skills we’d be keen to hear from you.
Leader and influencer
As a product person, you’re happy working with users, customers, teammates, suppliers and others to get the best out of them and maximise value of your outcomes. Data and logic are your go-to tools to influence and lead.
You’re a self-starter, doer and soak up new ideas and techniques like a sponge. You have a fantastic enthusiasm for product and software technology, process and tools, keeping up to date with best practice and demanding excellence.
Experience working in mobility is required, and you’ll need to demonstrate that you can get up to speed with new domains quickly.
You know how to talk to stakeholders and identify meaningful business value from passing fads. You’re keen to champion value at every opportunity, and look to bake it into the products we create and services we design. You’re OK with saying “no” to ideas more often than “yes”.
This means that you’ll need to contribute to the product team a solid knowledge of the various constraints of the business. For example, from marketing, sales, operations, finance, legal, and privacy. You’ll also contribute to the product team a deep knowledge of our users and customers, and the data about how our customers engage with our products. Finally, you’ll track industry trends and the competitive landscape as they pertain to the product.
You know how to prioritise what we work on, with an acute understanding of the techniques and practices used to determine value including agile and lean thinking. You’re confident at both rationalising and balancing priorities across a number of stakeholders, able to identify the best foot forward.
You’ve experienced working hand in hand with engineering to ensure objectives are understood so the end product is exactly what the business ordered.
You understand how to tease out ideas and turn them into something we can collectively work on. You’re able to plan at multiple levels, seeing the end goal and all the tiny steps that we might take to get there and better still, you know how to work with delivery teams to release it!
You’re able to collaborate closely with a visual designer, product designer and engineers to discover effective solutions, and then work together to deliver those solutions to market.
You know that a complex product is not only hard to build upon but also hard to manage and sell. You’ll work to streamline the product so it doesn’t encompass the kitchen sink.
All about the details
You’re a stickler for detail and make no apologies about it.
You’ll close the loop with the production team, ensuring what’s delivered matches up with what’s valuable to the business. You know that the team will be waiting on your seal of approval, eagerly awaiting to see if they need to go back to the drawing board or if they can move on to the next steps.
You understand that consistent innovation is the result of each member of the product team contributing their passion and their ideas.
You understand that industries thrive as they innovate, more often pushed by new technologies and healthy competition and you’re the sort of person that doesn’t like coming second. You actively invest time researching both industry trends and competitor products looking for opportunities to improve the products we make and add one more arrow to our quiver.
Experience and skills we need
- Experience of working in a mobility-centric organisation.
- Leading the product development of a software product.
- Knows how to define a product roadmap.
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of the techniques and methods of modern product discovery and product delivery, including lean and agile methodologies.
Experience and skills we like
- Demonstrated ability to learn multiple functional areas of business – engineering, design, finance, sales, or marketing.
- Demonstrated ability to figure out solutions to hard problems with many constraints, using sound judgement to assess risks, and to lay out your argument in a well-structured, data-informed, written narrative.
- Proven ability to engage with engineers, designers, and company leaders in a constructive and collaborative relationship.
We know that innovation thrives on teams where diverse points of view come together to solve hard problems. As such, we seek people that bring diverse life experiences, educational backgrounds, cultures, and work experiences. Please be prepared to share with us how your perspective will bring something unique and valuable to the team.
As the world continues to adjust to life with COVID we’re not 100% sure what office-based working looks like for us in 2021 and beyond. Long before the lockdown we operated a 50/50 remote and office-based week and for most of the team, we found that this provided the opportunity to balance face to face contact and the space to focus when needed.
Our plans to return to our office are on hold until towards Q3 2021, when we expect to shift our working pattern to a minimum of 1 to 2 days working onsite in the office with the rest of the time remote depending on the particular role. The right candidate understands that they may need to travel to the office in Bournemouth in future and so living within a commutable distance is required.
This role is an immediate start. Right now, it is 100% remote as the whole team continues to work from home. Any necessary equipment will be shipped to you before your start date.
Get in touch
If all this sounds like you then get in touch. Tell us why you want to work here and what youʼll bring to the team. We’d love to hear from you.
Our expected timeline for this position is detailed below, the dates are for information purposes only and subject to change without publication if it becomes necessary.
- Closed date: 26th July 2021
- Successful candidates invited for phone interviews by: 9th August 2021
- Phone interviews the week of: 9th August 2021
- Face to face interview (video interview or socially distant f2f) the week of: 16th August 2021
- Job offered by: 3rd September 2021