Website Surfline Wavetrak
Millions of people around the world depend on Surfline Wavetrak’s products to enrich their experiences in and around the ocean. For 35 years, our company has connected people with the ocean. Starting with surfers and expanding to offshore cruisers, anglers and a myriad of other boating, fishing and surfing enthusiasts, we’ve made it our mission to deliver peak maritime experiences. We provide those who work and play in the ocean with all the advanced tools, personalized insights and immersive content to make their lives better — supplying them with the information they need to make smarter decisions, seek out new experiences and gain valuable knowledge.
At SurflineWavetrak, we do great work from anywhere. This ranges from our office in Plymouth, to across the globe. This position is eligible to be based from a variety of locations, including full-time remote.
Surfline Wavetrak’s Software Engineers define the technologies that have a direct impact on how millions of surfers explore, connect and interact with forecast data, presented in an easy-to-read manner. After all, we want surfers and anyone who uses the ocean to be in the right place at the right time. Because time is precious.
At Surfline Wavetrak we want to build exciting next-generation features that connect people to the ocean. As a Lead Software Engineer, you’ll be leading the development of one of our core experiences; the live streaming of our HD quality cams from 700+ locations around the globe, which are beamed to millions of people across a range of devices. You’ll also be leading the development of a Machine Learning (ML) pipeline that will analyze our live cams and produce unique data for our customers. As part of that, you will be working closely with the company’s VP of Product and our Data Science team – whose role it is to create cutting-edge, ML-based product features to supercharge the business.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead a team of five Software Engineers and one Product Manager through the development of live video and data streaming products, setting the technical direction and vision across the team
- Design, develop and deploy video streaming services, working alongside our data scientists to integrate and scale ML-based video analysis systems
- Identify and drive performance and stability improvements across our video streaming system, working closely with our CamOps team to continually improve performance and stability, improving the end-user experience
What We’re Looking For:
- Confidence in executing complex technical initiatives with proven leadership experience
- Significant production experience with at least one of our core technologies: Java, Python or Node
- Production experience with live stream delivery & video streaming technologies
- Experience developing and delivering end-to-end services using the AWS platform. Experience in delivering an ML service is a plus
- Experience designing software for scale and high availability, working with CI/CD in an agile team
You May Also Have:
- Experience with FFmpeg
- Experience/understanding of machine learning applied to video
What You’ll Get Back:
We’re proud of our engineering culture at Surfline Wavetrak. There’s a reason why our engineers are motivated to bring their passion to work every day: We empower people to do what they do best. The rewards are something we like to shout about. Here are just a few:
- Professional & personal development through our weekly department-wide tech-talks
- Flexible schedules/work-life balance (when it’s on, we are on it)
- Work from anywhere
- Generous vacation and paid time off
- Retirement plan/pension contributions
Inclusion at Surfline Wavetrak:
Surfline Wavetrak believes the ocean is for everyone, that the magic of riding waves should be shared by all, and diversity and inclusion must be reflected in everything we do. In fact, the company is committed to making surfing a more inclusive culture, lifestyle, and community.
We are dedicated to bringing people together across the globe, and we champion and encourage those who bring different perspectives, ideas, and creativity. Surfline Wavetrak recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, gender identity, gender expression, age, veteran status, and any other protected status.