Tech Gathering – Tech and Democracy
Is tech good for democracy?
Over the last twelve months, the role of technology in driving and shaping seismic geopolitical events across global democracies has been more under the spotlight than ever.
A sitting US President using social media to incite violent rioting at the Capitol. The growing use of facial recognition software. The proliferation of online misinformation regarding Covid-19 vaccines.
Democracies worldwide are being forced to question the challenges presented by technology and combat the new threat posed by online echo chambers, artificial intelligence and misinformation.
But what about the potential for technology to do good?
In our next Tech Gathering, we’ll be joined by data experts, AI specialists, journalists and researchers from the University of Exeter to discuss the challenges, opportunities and learning points around technology and democracy.
Joining us on our panel:
- Anthony Peake, AI expert and CEO of Intelligent AI
- Nemo D’Qrill, CEO of Sigma Polaris
- Sean Buchan, Writer, researcher and data expert
- Feyaza Khan, Journalist and consultant
- Peter Evans, Editor of South West Tech Daily
- Dan Pritchard, Co-founder of Tech South West
- Callum Cockburn and Arthur Vandervoort, University of Exeter
Is tech good for democracy? Join us and find out.